Scouting at Home
Are your Scouts at home?
Scouting can take place anywhere – even in the comfort of your home!
Here you will find a resource hub for parents and leaders to help support Scouting at home, with stay-at-home educational activities for any Scout rank, tips for continuing to work on advancements and kid-friendly content that connects Scouting with their daily lives. We will continue to add new content and resources to this hub regularly.
Our goal is to make it easier to deliver the Scouting program by making plans more accessible to Leaders and those who can help Leaders like our parents.
Boy's Life Offer Limited Time! Download Our App to Read a Whole Year of Boys’ Life for Free
NOTE: Parents can approve Cub Scout Advancements and Achievements. Scouts BSA Merit Badges must be signed by a registered Merit Badge Counselor. Rank Advancement for Scouts BSA must be completed and approved at the Troop level.
Do not forget the merit badge process. A scout must talk with their scoutmaster first to have a merit badge counselor assigned. Then they talk with the merit badge counselor. They may work on the merit badge after the scoutmaster conference but will have to fulfill the merit badge counselor’s expectations to demonstrate completion. We can not bypass the requirements in the “Guide to Advancement” that can be found on line.
This is a great resource for Scouts, and parents of all children who want to get a taste of Scouting. Share this link with all of your friends and enjoy Scouting activities at home!
Scouting Pinterest Board A fun resource with many ideas and activities for all Scouts.
Cub Scout Bingo (For all Cub Scouts!)
Lion | Kindergarten
Tiger | 1st Grade
Wolf | 2nd Grade
Bear | 3rd Grade
Webelos & Arrow of Light | 4th & 5th Grade
- Conduct virtual Patrol Leaders Council meetings via teleconference or web video conferencing. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting.
- Encourage Patrol Leaders to communicate digitally with their patrol members.
- Conduct online merit badge counselor meetings using web video conferencing tools such as Google Hangouts, Zoom, Skype, FreeConference or Facebook. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting. Note completing a worksheet and emailing it does not constitute a “virtual discussion”, rather use interactive video or phone conversations.
- Jamboree on the Internet (JOTI) | April 3-5, 2020
- 30-Day Scouts BSA Challenge | Help your Scout keep their skills sharp by taking on our 30-day challenge to help with adventure and elective requirements. Merit badge requirements that can be worked on at home.
Check with your ScoutMaster for approval before starting a new merit badge
Merit Badges that can be completed at home include:
- Family Life
- Personal Management
- Personal Fitness
- American Heritage
- Emergency Preparedness
- Public Health
- Citizenship in Community
- Citizenship in Nation
- Citizenship in the World
- Scouts BSA Bingo
- Plan and cook a meal for your family.
- Encourage Scouts to post online stories from history and how humanity was able to overcome such difficulties and give people hope.
- Hold a virtual gaming meet. Or use Kahoot to host an online quiz.
- Encourage Scouts to communicate with Scouts around the world. Learn about the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM). Introduce JOTA/JOTI.
- Coordinate a community-based support network. Work with your Chartered Organization to develop a plan. Offer your unit assistance in helping the needy.
- Post examples of how Scouts are helping the community on social media. Make sure to tag us in your post using #ATLScouts
Hold Scoutmaster Conference using web video conferencing. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting.
- Google Hangouts: Easy to use, no time limit, allows up to 10 participants
- Zoom: Great features, 40-minute time limit, allows up to 100 participants
- Skype: Good stability, four-hour time limit, allows up to 50 participants
- UberConference: Excellent video quality, 45-minute time limit, allows up to 10 participants
If needed, conduct Eagle Boards of Review via videoconferencing. Units can administer BORs up and including Life rank but should follow the guidance in The Guide to Advancement Section 184.108.40.206 Boards of Review Through Videoconferencing. District Advancement Chairs will provide directions on Eagle BORs. Ensure to maintain two-deep leadership throughout the virtual meeting.