Kiokee River District
Welcome to the Kiokee River District Web page. We hope this page is helpful and informative as well as intertaining.
At Present the Kiokee River District consists of more than more than 300 registered and trained adult volunteers ready and willing to serve more than 800 male and female Scouts, Explorers and Venturers who are currently registered and active in more than 32 Packs, Troops, Crews, and Posts within our district.
The Kiokee River District consists of 8 counties, seven of which are in Georgia and one in South Carolina and make up a total land mass of approx. 2,327 sq. miles with a total popluation of approx. 213,823.
Please see some fun facts about our Kiokee River District communities that you may not know.
Columbia County: Named for Christopher Columbus
Square Miles: 308
Fun Fact: Kiokee Baptist Church was the first Baptist Church in Ga. And was founded by Daniel Marshall in 1772 in present day Appling County
Lincolnton County: Named for Benjamin Lincoln who served in the Continental Army
Square Miles: 357
Fun Fact: On Feb. 20, 1796 Lincoln County was established as the twenty-fourth county in Georgia. Before then its territory was part of Wilks Co.
Wilks County: Named for John Wilkes a British Politician supporter of American independence
Square Miles: 474
Fun Fact: Considered Georgia’s First County and was established by European Americans, it was the first of eight counties created in the state constitution on Feb. 5, 1777.
McDuffie County: Named for SC Governor George McDuffie
Square Miles: 266
Fun Fact: Most communities in McDuffie Co. were founded before the county was created. Some of which have fallen into obscurity. However, the historic Wrightsbourough foundation preserves the memory of the early settlement Wrightsborough which was occupied from 1768 to 1920.
Taliferro Co: Named for Col Benjamin Taliferro of Virginia
Square Miles: 195
Fun Fact: Formed in 1924 by taking parts of five other counties, Wilkes, Green, Hancock, Oglethorpe, and Warren counties. It is the 2nd least populated county east of the Mississippi next to Issaquena Co. Mississippi.
Glascock Co: Named for Thomas Glascock a Soldier in the War of 1812, General in the first Seminal War, and US Representative.
Square Miles: 144
Fun Fact: The County was Created on Dec. 19, 1857 and has the fourth smallest population in Georgia.
Warren Co: Named after General Joseph Warren Killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill
Square Miles: 287
Fun Fact: The county was formed on Dec. 19, 1793 and contains the communities of Norwood, Camak, and Warrenton. The county is in the Little River sub-basin of the Savannah River basin and border the Brier Creek sub-basin of the Savannah River basin and Ogeechee River sub-basin of the Ogeechee River basin.
McCormick SC: Named for?
Square Miles: *396
Fun Fact: Formed in 1916 from parts of Edgefield, Abbeville and Greenwood Counties and is the second least-populous county in S.C. Of the *396 sq.mi. it occupies approx. 35 sq.mi. consist of water or approx. 8.8% of its overall mass.